Commemorations: An outdoor art installation, May 20 – October 8, 2018
What is the purpose of public commemoration? We invite artists to submit designs for outdoor art that pays tribute to a hero, a role model, a fellow human being, or a moment in time whose story will be a focus of dialogue for our visitors. We are looking for work that brings light and clarity to public discussion of how we commemorate our history and the purpose of public commemoration.
- No limitations in scale, media, or materials. Any durable materials may be used.
- We encourage artists to consider time-based pieces such as sound and video.
- The piece must withstand a full season’s visitation in Cape Cod’s summer climate.
- Artists may employ interactivity, garden views, and sensory elements to enhance visitors’ engagement with their installations.
- Each piece should challenge visitors to consider history, art, and public monuments in new ways.
Submission deadline: no later than midnight November 15, 2017.
Ten pieces will be selected by a jury panel in November. Consideration will be given to those designs that are robust enough to endure weather conditions prevalent on Cape Cod and offer unique interpretations of the theme. Results of the jury process will be made public no later than December 1, 2017. Artists whose work is chosen for exhibit will receive a stipend of $300.
Installation is the weekend of May 19 and 20, 2018 during a public event called “Artists in Action.” Participating artists are expected to be present. The exhibition closes October 8, 2018. Artists should be prepared to deliver the piece to Heritage and install it with their own tools and minimal assistance from Heritage during the assigned time period in May as well as dismantle the piece in October 2018.
Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.