Volunteers Help Heritage Grow!
Celebrate American culture and help Heritage Museums & Gardens grow by taking root in your community and becoming involved. Share your time and knowledge to inspire people of all ages while exploring, discovering and learning together! There are many opportunities to get involved, so find the one that’s right for you:
Visitor Engagement Volunteer: Work with the public and our front line staff to provide a memorable, meaningful experience for our visitors! Visitor Engagement Volunteers help with:
- Daily operations, such as greeting visitors as they arrive, helping with wayfinding, and recommending things to see and do around the gardens and galleries
- Event assistance, helping with ticket-taking, helping with craft and program activities, and assisting with crowd control
Interpretive Volunteers: Help interpret our collections both inside the galleries and outside in the gardens for school groups and visitors. Interpretive Volunteers help with:
- Engaging students grades K-8 grade through hands-on interactive workshops that connect Museum collections and STEM learning in fun and exciting ways
- Interpreting Heritage’s collections to community and groups by teaching with objects, giving informal talks, and leading interactive tours through our galleries and gardens
- Assisting with greeting and welcoming adult and student group tour customers upon arrival
Horticulture Department: This opportunity will allow you to work in the gardens doing various duties, including weeding, mulching, fertilizing, pruning, propagation, and plant documentation. As a Horticulture Volunteer you will help Heritage maintain our beautiful public gardens enjoyed by all who visit.
Administrative Support: This opportunity will allow you to experience the inner workings of a nonprofit organization in this extremely important job that can assist a variety of departments, including Development, Marketing, Membership, and Finance. Duties include, but are not limited to, bulk mailings, filing, stuffing envelopes, telephone calls, archiving promotional materials, membership outreach, assisting with promotion of Heritage events and exhibits through online event promotions etc.
Maintenance Department: This opportunity will allow you to assist in the maintenance of Heritage’s building and gardens. By volunteering in this department you will ensure that the 100 acres of Heritage, which is home to 65 acres of gardens, 13,000+ objects in our collections including 39 American automobiles, are kept in a clean, safe and secure facility.
Exhibits and Collections: This year we are looking for people to help in two roles in this department:
- Data Entry Assistant- This position involves entering data about museum collections into a database. Familiarity with computers, a windows operation system and using a mouse are required for this position. Because of the training involved, the time commitment must be at least four hours a week, year-round.
- Survey Assistant- This volunteer assists in gathering data about visitor behavior in our museum galleries, grounds, and gardens as part of a Visitor Behavior Study. The annual study is conducted to further understand the interests of our visitors and how they engage with our physical areas. Tasks include observation and noting visitor movement and behavior in time and tracking studies. There will also be interviewing visitors using a pre-written survey, the outcome of which will be used to develop concepts for future projects. Base commitment is 3-4 hours a week.
All volunteers should have: excellent customer service skills, the ability to stand for long periods of time and have a positive attitude! Please keep in mind that all positions require some work outdoors regardless of weather conditions. Training will be provided for all volunteer positions.
If you are interested in becoming a Volunteer at Heritage, please fill out a Volunteer Interest form. If you have any questions, please contact Cheryl Nedd at firstname.lastname@example.org.